Our COVID-19 cancellation policy is currently in place. See our COVID-19 cancellation policy
Blog Banner

Campervan Hire Essentials: Safety Requirements

Sharing your campervan through the Just Kampers Hire community is an exciting opportunity for you and your customers, but before your customers can venture off in your camper it’s important to make sure you are offering them safety along the way.  

Whether you have vanloads of experience in renting out your campervan(s) or are a complete newbie to the world of campervan rental, we would like to give you a clear guide on what you’ll need to have in place to keep you, your van and your customers safe on the road.

Essential Fire Safety 

You must have a fire extinguisher available in your campervan to list on our website. Depending on the size of your van and equipment offered, it can also be advisable to carry a fire blanket. 

Campervan with fireplace, @galinkazhi via Twenty20

Essential Gas Safety 

If you have fixed LPG gas appliances in your campervan or motorhome, such as gas cookers or fires, these must be safety-checked and serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer every year. It is your responsibility to keep a record of any servicing or maintenance you carry out, and you must have an up-to-date Landlord Gas Safety Record in your vehicle for renters to refer to. 

It’s important to remember that an MOT certificate is not a guarantee for the safety of the gas installations in your van, and you’ll need to have both certificates before you can rent out your camper.  

If you don’t have any fixed LPG gas appliances that do have portable appliances with an integral LPG gas canister, you should check the condition of the canister before renting out your campervan and familiarise yourself with the how to use instructions so you can inform the hirer.  

To find a Gas Safe Registered engineer near you, you can visit the gassaferegister.co.uk.

If you want to find out more about what’s required there is lots of useful information on the Gas Safe Register website that relates to gas safety for campervan / motorhome hire.

Getting a habitation check

A habitation check involves an inspection of the living space in your motorhome or campervan, carried out by a specialist motorhome and caravan engineers. It covers dangers such as fire risks, ventilation and gas systems and gives you extra security and safety, the opportunity to identify problems early and helps to maintain your vehicle. Although this is not a legal requirement to have, it is worth getting your vehicle checked over regularly, and if you own a motorhome that is older than 5 years old and has a boiler, you are required to get regular habitation checks carried out. HabCheck provides an AWS mobile service and carries out approved habitation checks, you can visit their website and learn more here.

Additional Recommended Measures For Your Customers’ Safety 

At Just Kampers Hire we want to help protect our community and encourage both campervan owners and customers to take safety precautions seriously. The following suggestions can help protect the safety of you, your camper and your customers and are considered best practice.  

Just Kampers have a full range of products to help you build a safe space for your customers, we have linked the most relevant most ones below.  

  1. A Carbon Monoxide alarm
  2. A UK mains socket tester
  3. A fire blanket

Let Customers Know What Safety Measures You Are Taking


You can let your customers know the safety measures you have put in place in the description section of your listing. It’s important that you keep this information up to date and accurate, adding in any details of changes that you’ve made when necessary.