Meals on Wheels - Chicken Skewers & Pitta Wraps
The pure delight of being able to stretch out on your Blue ‘JK’ picnic rug and bask in the midday sun is perhaps the most sought after feeling for most of us, as there is nothing quite so delicious as eating alfresco.
Whether you’re cooking a barbecue outside your camper or preparing a picnic to take down to the beach you can create the most fantastic food with minimum amount of effort. So forget about ham sandwiches and economy sausages and feast your eyes on these simple but effective recipes.
Lime Chicken on Lemon Grass Skewers
- 6 x 30cm-long fresh lemon grass stalks
- 1/3 cup (80ml) peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 6 single(1.2kg)chicken breast fillets
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 2 small bird’s-eye chillies, seeded, chopped finely 1/3 cup (80ml) macadamia oil
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Cut 3cm off the end of each lemon grass stalk; reserve stalks.
Chop the 3cm pieces finely then combine in large shallow dish
with peanut oil, rind and coriander. Cut each fillet in 4 strips
crossways; thread 4 strips on each lemon grass stalk “skewer”.
Place skewers in dish, turning to coat chicken in lemon grass
marinade. Lemon grass marinade must be made ahead of this stage. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
Cook skewers on heated oiled barbecue, uncovered, until chicken is browned all over and tender. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in jar, shake well; serve with chicken skewers.
Deli Pitta Wrap
- 2 medium (400g) red capsicums
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 180g baby bocconcini cheese, halved
- 4 large pitta
- 12 slices (125g) salami (leave out for vegetarian option)
- 200g drained semi-dried tomatoes, halved
Quarter peppers, remove seeds and membranes. Roast under grill or in a very hot oven, skin side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Cover pepper pieces in plastic wrap or paper for 5 minutes, peel away skin. Combine vinegar and oil in medium bowl, add spinach and cheese, mix together. Top pitta with pepper, spinach mixture, salami and tomato, rollup.